Ciência IUL | Research Gate | Academia | Google Scholar
Professor at ISCTE-IUL, director of the Department of Political Economy, director of the Master Course on Social and Solidarity Economy, and teaching in the Master Courses on Social and Mestrado em Economia Social e Solidária, Development Studies and Economics and Public Policies; research being developed in the framework of European experimental programmes, (Poverty III, Employment & Adapt, Equal), programes of launched by the International Labour Office (STEP Programme, CIARIS Platform), by the OECD (IESED Project from LEED Programme) and by the Portuguese Government (Urban Renewal Programme, Critical Urban Areas Initiative, ‘Social Network’ Programme).
Developing research on globalization, territorial development, urban and regional planning, ‘crisis’ territories, ‘social innovation’, ‘social learning’ and ‘realist’ evaluation for innovation in public policies.
Individual Medium Term Research Programme
Planning for Territorial Economic Resilience and Social Innovation (Building Resilience innPLACES) programme was presented during the D'C seminar in june 2015. It intends to provide a global framework for research projects in different fields:
• Epistemology, paradigmatic transition in science and social innovation research
• Epistemology, methodology, practice of transdisciplinary research and the building of Knowledge Alliances;
• Territorial animation, economic resilience and social innovation (regional disintegration and path dependency; territorial animation for the possible ‘reversal’ of disintegration and the counteracting of the ‘non-emergence’ of local initiative; use value, exchange value and the ‘whole economy’)
• Building agency (policy integration; new forms of governance; multilevel collaborative governance)
• Human needs, territorial resilience and ‘economic integration’ (resilient communities; food security; social determinants of health; selective self-reliance; ‘inclusive entrepreneurship’; ‘social entrepreneurship’; social and solidarity economy)
• Planning for the real-life economy as an ‘empowering dialogue’ (wicked problems and planning; planning for resilience; planning paradigms)
• ‘Realist’ evaluation and ‘social learning’ (emergence of social innovation and ‘conditions of possibiity’; context-dependency and potential migrating ideas; learning from best practice; critical reflexivity and social learning)
• Building capacity (autonomous organizing for meeting skills gaps; communities of practice; ‘situated learning’ in landscapes of practice; creating learning societies; knowledge alliances)
Through the association of D'C with the creation of the Academy for Cohesion in the Azores (ACA) by the Agency for Territorial Cohesion of the Azores (AGECTA), the initial formation of a first generation of 'Cohesion Agents' in the Azores and the creation of to strengthen its work in knowledge alliances through the DIMAT-SIGA Project (in partnership with CICS-Nova and associated with the creation of a "Azores Data" database of statistics for territorial cohesion) and, with the renewal of the CIARIS Platform (ILO, currently managed by AGECTA), the innPLACES Program began its implementation in October 2014.
The innPLACES Program is rooted in the recognition of the territorial dimensions of contemporary change and the need to deepen the conditions for facilitating territorial resilience in view of the heavy trends associated with global risks, the increasing probability of emergence of 'extreme phenomena' and 'black swans' 'and the responsibility to contribute to societal empowerment in' all localities' through practices of production of relevant scientific knowledge as a condition of its excellence and useful in the foundation of planning processes suited to contemporary challenges.
(2016) Dispositivo de Informação, Observação, Monitorização e Avaliação da Coesão Social e Territorial, com um Sistema de Informação Geográfico dos Açores associado (DIMAT-SIGA), Academia para a Coesão nos Açores, Agência para a Coesão Territorial nos Açores (AGECTA), Ponta Delgada
(2016) Social Entrepreneurship in Structurally Weak Rural Regions: Analysing Innovative Troubleshooters in Action (RURACTION), Erkner
(2012) Survey on Business Start-Up Infrastructure: In accordance with the requirements of the “Community of Practice on Inclusive Entrepreneurship” (CoPIE) in Portugal, Berlin
(2013) ‘On Becoming Healthier Communities: Poverty, Territorial Development and Planning’, Revista Portuguesa de Saúde Pública, 31(1):58–73
(2011) ‘Crise, Economia Social e Solidária e ‘Integração Económica’ na Acção Contra a Pobreza’, in Revista de Economia Solidária, nº 2 (2010) Changing Poor People’s Lives: Conceptualising Action, Periploi, Lisboa
(2009) ‘Social Innovation and Territorial Animation: Contributions from the Equal Community Initiative in Portugal’, Sociedade e Trabalho, nº 12
(2009) Developing Learning Capabilities Through the EUKN Platform: Methodological Perspectives, Direcção-Geral do Ordenamento do Território e do Desenvolvimento Urbano (DGOTDU), Lisbon (co-authorship with Beverly Trayner)